See Summary of Most Significant Changes to learn more.
This is the legal part of the show. It's just so everybody knows the rules for Nick Jr. on the Web.Be sure to get your parents to review and discuss these rules with you:
- All the videos and games here are just for you to play with. You can't sell them, give them to anyone, or pretend you made them. You can't do anything EXCEPT play with them, unless you ask us first and we say it's OK. Kind of like playing with your big sister's toys, right?
Remember to ALWAYS check with your parents before you send anything to us. After all, they might want it to put on the fridge!
Of course, the folks in the legal office upstairs have their own special way of saying all that. Here's their version (also known as The Small Print):
This Site is fully controlled and operated by Nickelodeon, a business unit of Viacom Media Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc. ("VMN"). (Viacom International Inc., along with its parent company Viacom Inc. and all affiliates that Viacom Inc. directly or indirectly owns or controls (such as Paramount Pictures Corporation and the other affiliates of Viacom Media Networks as described in the link here, shall be referred to collectively as “VII”).
OWNERSHIP OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
All Site software, design, text, images, photographs, illustrations, audio clips, video clips, artwork, graphic material and other copyrightable or otherwise legally protectable elements of the Site, and the selection, sequence, "look and feel" and arrangements thereof, and trademarks, service marks and trade names (individually and collectively, the "Material") are the property of VMN and/or its subsidiaries, affiliates, assigns, licensors or other respective owners and are protected, without limitation, pursuant to U.S. and foreign copyright and trademark laws. Except as otherwise specifically noted on this Site or in connection with any particular Material, VMN hereby grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-assignable and non-transferable license to use and display, for your noncommercial and personal use only, one copy of any Material and/or software that you may print or download from this Site, including, without limitation, any files, codes, audio or images incorporated in or generated by the software, provided that you maintain (without alteration) all copyright and other notices contained in such Material and software. You further agree that where specifically noted on this Site or in connection with any Material or software, you will use such Material or software, as the case may be, in accordance with such specific terms and instructions. You acknowledge and agree that you may not sublicense, sell, assign, lease or otherwise transfer this license or any Material and that no title to the Material has been or will be transferred to you from VMN or anyone else. You agree not to reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, display, frame, perform, publish, distribute, disseminate, transmit, broadcast or circulate any Material to any third party (including, without limitation, the display and distribution of the Material via a third party website) without the express prior written consent of VMN. Use of VMN's and/or its licensors' Material is only permitted with their express written permission. You further agree that you will not disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer or otherwise modify the Material. Use of spiders, robots and similar data gathering and extraction tools is expressly prohibited. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. Any unauthorized or prohibited use may subject the offender to civil liability and criminal prosecution under applicable federal and state laws. We require users to respect our copyrights and other intellectual property rights.
You may use this Network only for lawful, non-commercial purposes. You may not engage in any conduct, that:
- Violates or infringes the rights of others, including without limitation patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, publicity or other proprietary rights;
- Involves uploading, emailing, transmitting or otherwise making available any content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- Is unlawful or transmits any information or data that VMN deems in its sole discretion to be inappropriate for this Site;
- Contains any personally identifiable information, or other information which might be used to identify or locate a user;
- Contains viruses or any other computer code, files or programs that interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment, or otherwise permit the unauthorized use of a computer or computer network;
- Otherwise interferes with the use or enjoyment of this Site by others;
- Encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense or that gives rise to civil liability;
- Is intended to promote and/or generate revenue for any third party business activity; or
CONTESTS, SWEEPSTAKES, ELECTRONIC POSTCARDS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
TEXT MESSAGING MARKETING AND PROMOTIONS
CLOSED CAPTIONING OF INTERNET PROTOCOL-DELIVERED VIDEO PROGRAMMING
In accordance with the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010, all video programming distributors that make video programming available directly to end users through a distribution method that uses the internet protocol are required to provide contact information to end users for the receipt and handling of written closed captioning complaints. If you have a complaint regarding the Site’s compliance with the closed captioning requirements of the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010, please click here.
DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
DEALINGS WITH THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS
Your correspondence or business dealings with, or participation in promotions of, third party service providers and advertisers found on or through this Site, including payment and delivery of related goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings, are solely between you and such third party service provider or advertiser, as the case may be. You agree that VMN shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as the result of any such dealings or as the result of the presence of such third party service providers and advertisers on this Site.
THIRD PARTY HYPERLINKS
The appearance of external hyperlinks and/or postcards generated by third parties does not constitute endorsement by VMN, its subsidiaries and affiliates of the opinions or views expressed by these third party websites and VMN does not verify, endorse, or take responsibility for the accuracy, currency, completeness or quality of the content contained at these sites. Furthermore, VMN is not responsible for the quality or delivery of the products or services offered, accessed, obtained by or advertised at such sites. As such, neither VMN nor its subsidiaries and affiliates will be responsible for any errors or omissions or for the results obtained from the use of such information contained in these sites. Finally, VMN will under no circumstances be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or special loss or other damage, whether arising from negligence, breach of contract, defamation, infringement of copyright or other intellectual property rights, caused by the exhibition, distribution or exploitation of any information or content contained within these third party hyperlinked sites. You hereby acknowledge that you access third party hyperlinks at your own risk.
ADS AND MALWARE
We take great care and pride in creating this Site. We are always on the lookout for technical glitches that affect how the Site works. When we find them on our end, we will do our best to promptly fix them. Unfortunately, your home computer may cause some glitches that affect how you see our Site and that is beyond our control.
If you experience any unusual behavior, content or ads on the Site, it may be the result of Malware on your computer. Malware - short for MALicious softWARE - is a term used to broadly classify a form of software which is installed in a computer system with malicious intentions, usually without the owner's knowledge or permission. Malware includes computer viruses, key loggers, malicious active content, rogue programs and dialers, among others. While we continuously work closely with our partners to ensure that everything on the Site is working properly, sometimes Malware programs on your personal computer may interfere with your experience on our Site and on other sites that you visit. We suggest that you take some of the following actions which may help to clean your computer and which could prevent future installations of Malware.
- Update your computer via Windows Update (found in the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer web browser).
- Install a SpyWare Removal Tool such as Spybot Search and Destroy or AdAware to clean your computer of Malware.
- Install antivirus software, such as Norton anti-virus or McAfee Antivirus Software
- Install Microsoft Security Essentials.
TERMINATION OR SUSPENSION OF ACCESS; MODIFICATION TO SITE
ELECTRONIC DELIVERY POLICY
By using this Site, you agree that we may provide to you required notices, agreements and other information concerning the Site electronically by posting on the home page of this Site or on the relevant web page.
RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES: BINDING ARBITRATION; NO CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTIONS OR ARBITRATIONS
See our FAQs for more information.
2. Informal Dispute Resolution. Except with respect to Claims described in Sub-section 1(B) above, before either you or VII pursue or participate in any Claim against the other party in arbitration or court proceedings, you or VII must notify the other party of the Claim in writing at least 60 days in advance of initiating the arbitration or court proceeding in order to provide a reasonable opportunity to resolve the Claim. You may send a written notice of your Claim to VII at 1515 Broadway, New York, New York 10036, Attention: Viacom Inc. General Counsel. VII may send written or electronic notice of its Claim to your email address, VII account or any physical or other address VII has for you. The notice must describe the Claim in reasonable detail and set forth the relief requested so that the other party has an opportunity to adequately address the Claim. Except with respect to Claims described in Sub-section 1(B) above, you and VII agree to negotiate in good faith with each other to try to informally resolve the Claim and, if you and VII do not reach an informal resolution of the Claim within 60 days, then the Claim may be submitted to binding arbitration as set forth in this Section of the Agreement or court as permitted by Sub-section 1 above.
3. Arbitration Proceedings and Costs. Any arbitration will be administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) pursuant to its Consumer Arbitration Rules (the “AAA Rules”), as modified by this Agreement. The AAA Rules, and other information about the AAA, are available at the AAA’s website at www.adr.org. A form for initiating arbitration proceedings is available on the AAA’s website (see Demand for Arbitration at https://www.adr.org/aaa/ShowPDF?doc=ADRSTG_015820 and, for arbitrations in California, https://www.adr.org/aaa/ShowPDF?doc=ADRSTG_015822, but contact the AAA if you have issues accessing these links) and arbitration proceedings shall be initiated in the location described in “GOVERNING LAW, ARBITRATION LOCATION, JURISDICTION, VENUE, JURISDICTION AND JURY TRIAL WAIVER” below. As required by the AAA Rules, if you initiate the arbitration proceedings, you must send the original copy of the completed form to VII, which should be sent to VII at the following address: 1515 Broadway, New York, New York 10036, Attention: Viacom Inc. General Counsel. If your Claim is for $10,000 or less, you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted solely based on documents submitted to the arbitrator, through a telephonic hearing, or by an in-person hearing under the AAA Rules. In all cases, you and VII shall exchange documents and other information that you or VII intend to use in the arbitration.
Upon filing of an arbitration demand for Claims up to $75,000, VII will reimburse you for all necessary filing, administration and arbitrator fees paid by you to the AAA or, if you wish VII to pay such fees directly to the AAA, you must request payment of such fees by VII by mail to the AAA along with your form initiating arbitration and VII will make arrangements to pay such fees directly to the AAA. In the event the arbitrator determines that the Claim(s) you assert in the arbitration are frivolous or vexatious, you agree to reimburse VII for all fees associated with the arbitration paid by VII on your behalf. You agree that VII shall have no obligation to pay any other fees except as determined by the arbitrator.
For Claims that total more than $75,000, the AAA Rules will govern payment of filing, administration and arbitrator fees to the maximum extent permitted by law. The decision of the arbitrator will be binding and conclusive on all parties, and judgment to enforce the decision may be entered by any court of competent jurisdiction.
4. Class Action Waiver. UNLESS YOU SUBMIT A VALID ARBITRATION/CLASS ACTION WAIVER OPT-OUT NOTICE (AS DESCRIBED IN SUB-SECTION 5), YOU AND VII AGREE THAT ANY DISPUTE RESOLUTION PROCEEDINGS WHETHER IN ARBITRATION OR IN COURT WILL BE CONDUCTED ONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT IN A CLASS, CONSOLIDATED OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. You and VII expressly agree that any Claim is personal to you and VII, shall only be resolved by an individual arbitration (or individual court proceedings with respect to Claims excluded from mandatory arbitration as described in Sub-section 1 of this Agreement), and shall in no event be brought as a class arbitration, a class action, or any other representative proceeding. The arbitrator (or court if the Claim is excluded from mandatory arbitration as described in Sub-section 1 of this Agreement) may only conduct an individual arbitration (or court action if the Claim is excluded from mandatory arbitration as described in Sub-section 1 of this Agreement), and may not consolidate more than one person’s claims and may not preside over any form of representative or class proceeding. If a court or arbitrator determines that this class action waiver is unenforceable in an action between you and VII, then this Agreement to arbitrate will be unenforceable. Neither you nor VII consent to class arbitration.
5. Right to Opt Out of Mandatory Arbitration and Class Action Waiver. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE MANDATORY ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER PROVISIONS IN SUB-SECTIONS 1, 3 AND 4, YOU MUST NOTIFY VII IN WRITING (THE “Arbitration/Class Action Waiver Opt-Out Notice”), WHERE THE ARBITRATION/CLASS ACTION WAIVER OPT-OUT NOTICE MEETS ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
(a) Sent by first class mail, postage prepaid, certified and return receipt requested or sent by overnight courier service (such as Federal Express) to Viacom Inc., Attention: Viacom Legal Department, Records Management, 1515 Broadway, 51st Floor, New York, NY 10036.
(b) Postmarked (if sent by first class mail) or deposited with the overnight courier service no later than (A), if you register as a new registered user of the Site on or after 2/9/2016 (“Agreement to Arbitrate Date”), 45 days after the date you accept this Agreement for the first time, unless an earlier deadline in Sub-section 5.2(C) applies, (B), if you are already a registered user of the Site before the Agreement to Arbitrate Date, 45 days after the earlier of either (I) your first log in to the Site on or after the Agreement to Arbitrate Date or (II) the date which email notice of the Agreement containing this Section of the Agreement, if any, was sent to the email address associated with your user registration, unless an earlier deadline in Sub-section 5.2(C) applies or (C) for all other users of the Site, 45 days after you accept this Agreement for the first time on or after the Agreement to Arbitrate Date, which Agreement to Arbitrate Date shall be, and 45 days shall start, December 31, 2016 for users of the Site’s mobile applications and other interactive services, unless a longer period is required by applicable law.
Time Periods Applicable to Users of Multiple VII Websites, Applications or Other Interactive Services. If you are or become a user of more than one VII website, application or other interactive service, you must provide the Arbitration/Class Action Waiver Opt-Out Notice within the earliest deadline applicable for any VII website, application or other interactive service for which you are or become a user (for example, if the Agreement to Arbitrate Date is August 1 and if you are a pre-existing registered user of a VII website prior to August 1 who logins on August 1 and registers as a new registered user of another VII website on August 15, you must provide the Arbitration/Class Action Waiver Opt-Out Notice by September 15 (45 days after August 1 and not 45 days after August 15)).
(c) Includes your first and last name, address, phone number, email address and, if applicable, your username if you are a registered user of the VII website(s), application(s) or other interactive services(s) along with an identification of the VII website(s), application(s) or other interactive services(s) for each such username. We shall use the foregoing information included in the Arbitration/Class Action Waiver Opt-Out Notice to record, process, maintain and administer your opt-out of the mandatory arbitration and class action waiver provisions and not for marketing purposes.
(d) Includes a statement that you do not agree to the mandatory arbitration and class action waiver.
If the Arbitration/Class Action Waiver Opt-Out Notice meets all of the above requirements, you will be deemed to have opted out of the mandatory arbitration and class action waiver provisions in Sub-section 1, Sub-section 3 and Sub-section 4 with respect to all VII websites, applications or other interactive services (including, but not limited to, those owned, operated and/or provided by Viacom Inc. and the corporate affiliates that Viacom Inc. directly or indirectly owns or controls such as those described in the link here). Note that a valid Arbitration/Class Action Waiver Opt-Out Notice applies only to the individual identified in such notice as opting out.
If the Arbitration/Class Action Waiver Opt-Out Notice does not meet all of the above requirements, you will not be deemed to have opted out of the mandatory arbitration and class action waiver provisions in Sub-section 1, Sub-section 3 and Sub-section 4.
GOVERNING LAW, ARBITRATION LOCATION, JURISDICTION, VENUE, AND JURY TRIAL WAIVER
With the exception of the provision above that the enforceability of “RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES: BINDING ARBITRATION; NO CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTIONS OR ARBITRATIONS” above is governed both procedurally and substantively by the FAA, this Agreement and your use of the Site is otherwise governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of New York (without regard to that state’s conflict of laws rules).
You or VII shall initiate arbitration in the United States county or territory in which you reside or, if you do not reside in the United States or one of its territories, in the non-United States country in which you reside; provided, however, that (a) VII may request to transfer the arbitration to New York County, New York if it agrees to pay any additional fees or costs you incur as a result of the change in location as such additional fees or costs are determined by the arbitrator and to the maximum extent permitted by law and, upon such request, (b)(i) if you agree to such request, the arbitration shall be transferred to New York County, New York or (ii) if you do not agree to such request, VII shall have right to request that the arbitrator determine the location in which the arbitration shall be held. You and VII agree that any Claim that is allowed to proceed in court as set forth in Sub-section 1 of “RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES: BINDING ARBITRATION; NO CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTIONS OR ARBITRATIONS” above (including, but not limited to, as a result of your submission of a valid Arbitration/Class Action Waiver Opt-Out Notice), or otherwise proceeds in court in the event the agreement to arbitrate above is found not to apply to you or a particular Claim as a result of a decision by the arbitrator or a court order, is subject to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the State or Federal Courts situated in the Borough of Manhattan, New York City, State of New York.
To the extent it may be applicable, you and VII agree to opt out from and expressly exclude any applicability of the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act. If any Claim proceeds in court rather than in arbitration, YOU AND VII WAIVE ANY RIGHT TO A JURY TRIAL.
VMN operates and controls this Site from its offices at 1515 Broadway, New York, New York 10036, United States of America. This Site is intended exclusively for residents of the United States. We make no representation that content on this Site is appropriate or available for use in locations outside the United States. If you choose to access this Site from a location outside the United States, you do so of your own initiative and you alone are responsible for compliance with local laws. Under no circumstances is VMN responsible for ensuring that the Site is in compliance with the local laws of jurisdictions outside the United States. No software from this Site may be downloaded, exported or re-exported in violation of any law including, without limitation, to countries that are subject to U.S. export restrictions.
We take protection of copyrights, both our own and others, very seriously. We therefore employ multiple measures to prevent copyright infringement over this Site and to promptly end any infringement that might occur. If you believe that the Site contains elements that infringe your copyrights in your work, please follow the procedures set forth in our Copyright Compliance Policy.